Sunday, September 24, 2017

Baltimore Museum of Art


#1: Marie Laurencin "Group of Artists"
     This piece interests me the most because I assumed at first that it was a family portrait.  However, when I read the title "Group of Artists" it changed my perception of the piece.  I suppose it could still be a family, and the artist just refers to them as artists.
     What is most interesting is that each individual in the painting looks dramatically different from the others.  The artist painted them all different; they don't have a universal style. Also, everyone is positioned differently as well.  At first, this piece made me feel like it was a normal family portrait, but then I looked closer into the details of each person.  None of them look like they belong to the same family.  The man in the blue looks like he could be showing some resentment towards the man in the center because of the sideways glare he is giving him.  In general, this piece makes me feel like it is very serious and formal.
      The composition of this piece includes the Golden Triangle, which is formed by the positioning of each person.  The focal point is the man in the center.  I determined that the eye path began with the man in the center and traveled to the woman on his right, it continued through the dog, to the man in blue, and then through the woman's arm back to the man in the center.  I saw the arms of both the women are radiating lines that carry the eye back to the man in the center.




   

#2: Max Pechstein "The Circus"
     What attracted me to this piece was the color.  The other pieces I chose had color as well, but this specific piece had a vivid red and orange of the man, woman, and horses.  Initially, I was confused as to what was happening in the piece.  I knew it was some type of performance, but the title helped me confirm what was taking place.
      I interpreted this piece as depicting the thrill and excitement of performing.  It seems like an adrenaline rush for the man and woman riding the horses.  Also, I feel the awe of the crowd who are watching this spectacle take place.
      The focal point of this piece is the horses in the center.  The eye path begins with the horses and travels up to the man then to the woman, through her arms and to the man in black.  Radiating lines come from the woman's arms down to the man and back to the horses.  There is a leading line where the blue and the yellow sections of the crowd meet.  There is also a leading line across the stage and from the hand of the man in black.


 

#3: Henri Matisse "The Pierced Rock"
     I interpreted this piece as an idyllic scene of the ocean.  It is just a comforting scene to see the calmness of the water and a sailboat in the distance.  I like the earthy tones of it as well.  Initially, it just looked like a rock in the ocean to me, but as I spent more time with it, I began to see more of the detail.  For example, the texture in the rock, the shadow of the rock, and the waves crashing around the bottom of the rock.
     I chose this piece because of the simplicity of the scene.  I wanted to make sure I included a landscape as one of my pieces.  Since my other two pieces contained people, I wanted something that focused only on nature.
     The focal point of this piece is the right side of the rock.  The eye path begins at the right side of the rock, follows the arch of it, goes down the left side and connects to the pieces of grass along the bottom of the frame.  The horizon in the background is a leading line.  I also see the arch of the rock as a radiating line.  The shadow coming from the rock can also be seen as a radiating line.  This piece contains multiple L-shapes as shown in my sketch above.  The L-shapes continue to get larger moving from the horizon to the foreground of the painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Gallery Events

    The first art gallery I went to was "In Light of the Body" which included photographs by Regina DeLuise and paintings by G...